Preventing illegal fishing of endangered / illegal species
Posted by Michael Koscinski | Maryland, United States
Problem: Organisms (sharks, big-fin tuna, etc.) being hunted too frequently or illegally.
Solution: Satellite mapping all of certified fishermen / fishing vessels. Create large global grid that enables law enforcement to track all registered boats.
(1) Easier to track certified fishing professionals.
(2) Easier for law enforcement to bring criminal fishermen to justice -- if their boat isn't mapped / tracked, they clearly aren't certified.
(1) High CapEx spend required to build out initial infrastructure.
(2) Who bears the burden of cost?
Questions for continued study:
(1) Is this the most cost-efficient / effective way to do this? Think the core concept is relatively important, but perhaps not worth the cost that this initial suggestion would bring about.
(2) This idea would work for tracking the legal fishermen, but it could be argued that the larger issue is tracking + identifying the illegal fishermen...